Research Question (adapted from Amy Sloan and Steven Schwinn's Basic Legal Research Workbook p. 156 (revised 3rd ed)):

A chemical manufacturer -- subject to the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act and to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and regulations -- is interested in filing an application for an exemption from the OSHA requirements under section 16 (hazardous sources of energy). Your task is to find the applicable regulations.

Research Approach:

1. Locate the applicable OSHA statutory provision.
  • Use a proprietary database. If Westlaw, use its USCA Index and search for OSHA, and then locate the Standards provision. If any other USC source (proprietary or free-of-charge) do a full-text search within Title 29 (Labor) for "occupational safety and health" & hazardous /s substance & standards & exemption.
  • Click on 29 USC ยง 655
  • Read the applicable implementing administrative rules: 29 C.F.R. 1905.01 et seq.
  • Go to the C.F.R. and search for the relevant rule: 29 C.F.R. 1905.12

2. Free-of-Charge Research Steps - use the agency OSHA website:

3. Free-of-Charge Research Steps - use the FDsys site
  • Go to FDsys and DO NOT click on the Code of Federal Regulations link
  • Click on the Advanced Search tab INSTEAD;
  • Choose the Code of Federal Regulations from the "available collections" column and limit your search to the 2012 edition
  • Type "Occupational Safety and Health Administration" and "section 16" and exemption in the full-text search box;
  • Click on "29 C.F.R. 1905.12 and read the official version of the rule as of July 1, 2012".

Of course, once you find the regulation you believe is the answer to your research question, you need to take the final step of making sure it is still good law.